Preparing for the Gathering - Christmas Affections (Part 1)
Prepare your heart for our Sunday Morning Gathering by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together.
You will find tangible suggestions for putting scripture to action in your personal life and in our corporate body, links to the songs we will sing, and lyrics for you to prepare for our corporate singing.
Please see the Preparing for the Sermon post for suggestions in thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Pray for the Word preached, the Holy Spirit, and the Scriptures to illuminate your heart and mind so that they are examined to determine the motives of your affections.
- Upon examining your affections, see if there is anything in you that resembles what Edwards says is a non-gracious affection. How have you used these affections to build yourself up, or others up, in a unreliable manner, that could hurt someone or even cause someone to trust in religious affections without the right source behind them, namely God himself.
- Have you ever heard someone use these non-gracious affections to validate their actions, especially if they are in sin? How would that correlate to them being non-gracious? How have you responded? How would you respond now with a different view on non-gracious religious affections?
- Pray that our church could decisively remove any non-gracious affections, trusting in sources other than God, to validate our faith and actions.
- Click the links below to find the lyrics and recordings of the songs planned for our gathering this Sunday; practice the songs, study the lyrics and sing together.
- Pray for those leading our corporate gathering this week and for the Holy Spirit’s work as the Word of God is further explained and applied: Dawson Bryant: music; Adam Naler: Elders' prayer & scripture reading; Bret Capranica: teaching.
Songs for Sunday
- Go Tell It On the Mountain
- Christ the Lord is Born Today
- Angels We Have Heard On High
- The First Noel